Saturday, August 06, 2005

Day 40: Grazing Into The Abyss

40 Days is such a nice round number. Here are some things you can do in 40 days: Kick start a life style change (diet) OR flood the world - whatever. Either way, day 40 is here and I need to boil eggs.

I'm trying to figure out how to do this within the context of grazing. It's the hardest part of all of this to kick. I can kick fast food. I can kick late night snacking. But grazing seems to be the hardest part for me to kick. I would much rather come home from work and graze dinner than actually sit and have a meal. I've been working on it and I think it's about variety. The same reason that I love buffets, smorgasbords and tapas. I like a little bit of lots of things. I also think that's where a lot of my problems come from. Because I like a lot of variety, that's why my fast food orders always included multiple entrees, because you can't really graze at a drive-thru.

So variety is the spice of my life. So how do I make that work inside the confines of this dietary change (I'm still avoiding the word diet at all costs)? Do I fight my self and try to squash the culinary wanderlust? Or do I alter the way I graze and the things I graze? Neither is easy. They both take a conditioning of the will. And many people seem to think that keeping the digestive fires going all day helps, so eat many small meals. It 'tis a puzzlement. Which do I do.

As I sit hear writing this I'm thinking I will opt for #2 and accept the eating style but change the food (which is pretty much what I've been doing with some success). But I am also wondering if I am rationalizing. Will my conscience (you know, Vi) start kicking me and telling me I'm lying to myself. So, in the end and in the immediate I need to boil eggs. Probably the most successful week I've had was the week where I had all these salads premade. So I'm going to go make some salads and have some eggs on hand, so when I open the fridge to graze... better stuff is grazing back at me.

danny

Sorry, Danny begged to come in and type his name. He did. Swear to God. I'm so proud.

'night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home