Sunday, July 03, 2005

Day 7: And on the seventh day the Lard rested...nope.

Oh my God. Dragging myself out of bed this morning was not easy. I'm worried that I'm going to hit a wall. I am psyching myself up for it. Yesterday was good but not great. I went a couple hundred calories over what I've been doing. I'm not beating myself up because, if you look at my journal, it was still only 1500 or so. I used to do that in a single meal. It's still good. You want to see a disturbing list...

MY STANDARD ORDER AT MANY FAMOUS FAST FOOD PLACES or HOW TO LOOK LIKE ERIC SCHWARTZ WITH ONLY A FEW DIETARY CHANGES
(These did vary from time to time)
McDonald's - 2 double cheese burgers and a McChicken (apple pie optional)
Wendy's - 2 Double Stacks with Cheese, 5 chicken nugget, 1 junior Bacon Cheese
Taco Bell - Chicken Burrito (Grilled Stuffed or Fiesta), 2 chicken Mexi-Melt's (optional chicken or steak taco)
Jimmy John's Subs - Gargantuan Sub (or sometimes a double beef), salami slim , cookie
Subway - 12" BMT (pepperoni, salami, ham) with double meat, cheese, mayo
Burger King - 2 Whoppers (sometimes chicken) w/ cheese, small chicken tenders
Arby's - At least 2 or three regular beef or beef and cheddar , large curly

You know, seeing that written out, my size is no surprise. I actually got weepy. Sorry. Look at that. I had fast food AT LEAST every other day. And the sickening thing is, I still want it. I will not lie, that stuff is so good. I always told myself that I didn't eat enough to be heavy. I actually said that. I said it TO people. You must have thought I was an idiot. I thought, because I didn't eat a lot between meals (which is also a joke) that I didn't eat enough to be heavy. So let's look at the rest of the equation, shall we...

If I ate breakfast it was generally something that was brought in at work, that means doughnuts, danish, bagels etc. OR There is this gas station on the way to work and I might stop and get a pizza puff and a cor dog (that was pretty rare, to be honest). There was also McDonald's . So, on the occasions that I ate breakfast, it was always shit. God help me if I stopped AND somebody brought food to work. Then - lunch - generally you can focus on the Wendy's or Taco Bell orders above. They are a minute from the office. But generally it is some type of large greasy food. On the trip home, if I needed to pick up anything (pop, milk whatever), I usually made sure that I stopped at Casey's general store so that I could add a slice of Pizza and maybe a Reece's to the order. Then dinner... sometimes it's a homecooked meal by either myself or my wife. Lots of pasta and ground beef (we have used turkey a lot the last year or so). But we live in a college town and everything can be delivered. The temptation is strong and we often ordered in hot dogs or burgers, chinese, mexican, subs, and Pizza. Then about 9:30 at night I would get noshy and have a sandwich or a bowl of cereal... or both.

Jesus Christ! That was nearly every day for years. I am reading and rereading this. It's terrible. It's all me. It's not McDonald's fault - I was under no misapprehension about the nutritional value. It's all me. I lied to myself. Rationalized to myself. I put in terms of money (this stuff is a great value! 99cents! I'm full and it's cheap - notice Taco Bell's campaign over the last year).

This was not easy to write. I am a hider. I try to be secretive about what I eat. I don't like people asking and I generally try to do it alone, if I can. This was not easy. But now that I see it... I know I can do this. I can see the changes that need to be made. I really, truly can do this. Half of it is not doing those things any more.

I am sufficiently psyched up for my walk. Thanks for reading my breakdown/through/whatever.

Talk to you tomorrow.
e

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home