Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Day Three - Avoiding Slaughterhouse 5

I did it. I reached yesterday's goal which was to not eat after dinner and not go to bed on a full stomach. I did it. YAAAAAY! Now I have to not do it again tonight. The other challenge last night was dinner. My good friend Dr. K came over and brought some brats to grill and I picked up some hot dogs for Danny too. Just enough of a selection. But I still had my salmon thawing in the fridge. But here was my quandry, it didn't thaw. There was still ice on it. So I almost gave up, because it would take too long. But I got too depressed at the thought of having a hot dog (light or not, it's still 100 cals per dog and the bun is 120 and all carbs.) - So I broke through the "easy/lazy" barrier and argument my mind had thrown up and made the salmon. finished the thaw in the microwave, little lemon pepper, lemon slices, red onion, all wrapped in aluminum foil and tossed on the grill. I nibbled a little on the cheese and crackers that Dr. K had brought and then I had the salmon. No dogs, no sausage and no late night munching. Good evening. Yaaay me.

Tonight will be tricky. Tonight is rehearsal night and generally a night where the fam stops to eat on the way to rehearsal. Usually a burger or dog place. Going to try to avoid tonight. I think we will probably finish up food from last night. For me that means the rest of the salmon and for them the rest of the dogs. We'll see.

So this is interesting. It's an article I found online about medicinal and preventative juice fasts . It sounds like some New Age or "Olden Times" type of process. But some of it makes sense. Something to look into. maybe, once I get past the initial "fuck I'm hungry" thing, I should give it a whirl.

I am noticing that my mood is shifting. I am getting a little surly. To a lesser degree it's what happened when I would quit smoking. Things in my body are starting to change and I'm sure this is part of it. I'm thinking that in a week that may level off. We'll see. I'm still trying to convice Millie that I'm really going to do it. I can't blame her for being skeptical, we've been here before and I let us both down.

She asked if it was harsh to want proof. I told her no. Until changes are noticable this blog and my intentions are empty. Like the wife in Slaughterhouse 5 , a constant, empty promise "I'm gonna lose weight for you."

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey dude. Remember that scene from The Abyss?

Ed Harris to a dead Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio: "You BITCH, you never backed away from anyting in your life now FIGHT!! FIGHT!!!.... FIGHT!!!!!"

I think of that line - that scene - when I'm really struggling with something. Sometimes getting tough with youself helps bring you back to life.

You can do it! Keep up the great work, bro.

6/29/2005 10:35 AM  
Blogger Eric Peter Schwartz said...

Thanks, Dan. That means a ton to me. :)

6/29/2005 10:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home